Friday, September 6, 2013

Does a Fist Through the Wall Mean that my Teenager has an Anger Problem?

I am concerned that my teenager has an anger problem. He put his fist through the wall the other day. Should I be concerned that he has deeper issues?

A fist through the wall is angry behavior, however, it does not necessarily suggest that your teen has an anger problem. And this is where we usually misinterpret what is really going on. The child who puts the fist through the wall is using behavior to say, "I am feeling something so intense down below that the only way I know how to get it out is through angry behavior". This is key to being able to recognize and understand more about what is going on inside the minds of our kids. If they can't or won't talk it out, they'll act it out.  But one way or another...it's coming out. This is true for all of us.  So in answer to your question...possibly.  We need to teach our kids to use words to express difficult feelings; which means we, their models, need to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment